Homemade Almond Mylk Recipe

I have been making a strong attempt to limit my dairy for the last couple years and I just recently decided to cut t it out completely to see if that would have a positive change on my skin and digestion and it has helped a lot.  
     
Around new years I over heard a girl in the pool saying to her friend that she is going to make a strong effort to start making her own sauces and milk alternatives at home as much as she can. I thought that sounded like a good idea and that I should start doing the same thing.
Hey we get inspiration everywhere right, even if It is the public pool. I knew I could easily stop buying the one thing that I use regularly.

     Almond Milk is so easy to make and I use to make it all the time before I got into the habit of buying it.The process is very simple and fast and since my recent learning of some sketchy ingredients hidden in milk alternatives I really needed to eliminate those out of mine and my families food.




Ingredients hiding in store bought milk alternatives

Carrageenan and Guar guam  are natural ingredients that is used as a thickening agent. They are passed by the FDA as a '"natural" ingredient and can be hidden in a lot of natural and organic food labels but just because it is natural doesn't men it's good for you. Beaver anal glands are natural and not very good for you either but that is allowed in our milk alternative creamers.Yup I said that!
 I have been doing some research about the thickening agents and how they effect your gut health and digestion, if you would like to learn more here is some trusted sources of information that I refer to often.

 
Soaking Process

Always soak your Almonds for at least 12 hours- 24 hours is best and no more then 30 to prevent them from going rancid. We don't feel very well when we eat moldy almonds. 

I like to soak in a big bowl and I always use filtered water even for the soaking process. It's nice to put a little bit of Himalayan salt at this point if you like. It will help break down the enzymes of the almond and assist in digestion. 
Strain the almonds and give them another good rinse or two to get rid of the left over film on top.


Recipe

Place into a food processor or High performance blender if you have one. 
The food processor will not get it as smooth as the blender will. 
If you are using it for smoothies and you don't mind some of the grit from the almond then use the food processor. 
I always double the amount of water to Almond ratio. 

2 cups of soaked almonds 

4 cups of filtered water

1 pitted date if you like it sweet ( I have also soaked the date during the soaking process )

1tsp of vanilla 





Blend all of that up on high speed for 2 minutes. Stop and pulse a few times to get all the almonds broken up.

Transfer to a big deep bowl with a nut bag, cheese cloth or really thin T shirt inside.
If you do not have a milk bag or cheese cloth use a thin T shirt.

Holding all the liquid inside, twist at the top keeping the almond meal inside the bag.
Squeeze out the liquid leaving the almond meal in the bag. 

You should get about 2 cups of almond milk.

Stores in fridge up to four days.


Enjoy, #ckfitkrew




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Client Spotlight

Vulnerable share/ Passion

CK Fit Challenge